Because I'm from Minnesota, this is a "hotdish", not a casserole. This is a combination of things I liked from a few different recipes. The result - deliciousness! A little zippy, but not overly hot.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground beef (can use chicken instead)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can chopped green chilies
- 1 dozen flour tortilla, cut in half
- 2 (10 ounce) cans enchilada sauce, divided (red or green)
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried black beans
- 4 cups mexican cheese, shredded
- 1 (10 ounce) can ro-tel diced tomatoes and chilies in lime juice
- sour cream (optional)
- fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Lightly coat a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray.
- 3In large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until tender; about 5 minutes.
- 4Add ground beef, chili powder, salt, cumin and celery salt.
- 5Cook until beef is browned. Drain if too greasy.
- 6Stir in soup, green chilies and tomatoes. Set aside.
- 7Place 8 halves of the tortillas in the baking dish - straight edges matching straight sides of the pan - cover the entire bottom on the dish. There will be some overlapping.
- 8In a medium bowl, whisk together one can of enchilada sauce and refried beans.
- 9Pour this mixture over the tortillas and spread evenly and sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese.
- 10Layer 8 more halves of tortilla over this.
- 11Cover with meat mixture and sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese.
- 12Layer the last 8 tortilla halves over this.
- 13Pour remaining can of enchilada sauce over the tortillas and spread evenly. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- 14Bake for 25 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted and golden.
- 15Serve with sour cream and fresh cilantro.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Enchilada Hotdish
Serving Size: 1 (571 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1467.9
- Calories from Fat 596
- Total Fat 66.3 g
- Saturated Fat 29.9 g
- Cholesterol 162.1 mg
- Sodium 4989.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 156.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.7 g
- Sugars 18.7 g
- Protein 60.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: