Recipe by Hey Jude
Here's a quick, tasty casserole recipe that I found in the Chicago Tribune. I normally stay away from recipes that use 'one can cream of whatever' but this one's an exception. I threw it together one day after work (out of desperation) and we were quite pleased with the results. The leftovers taste even better, warmed up the next day!
Top Review by stimied
This was pretty good! The chorizo adds a definite spice to the cassarole. You want to make sure to use a good quality chorizo or it will lean to the salty side. Good for a quick dinner on a cold night.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb chorizo sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 12 corn tortillas
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large frying pan over med-high heat, combine ground beef, chorizo sausage and onions; cook until meat is browned.
- Pour off fat, add tomato sauce, chili powder, garlic, salt and pepper to taste and stir to combine; set aside.
- Line the bottom of a 9x13-inch pan with 6 of the tortillas, slightly overlapping them.
- Spoon reserved meat mixture over tortillas and top with remaining tortillas.
- Combine cream of chicken soup and milk and stir until smooth.
- Pour soup mixture over tortillas.
- Sprinkle cheese over top and bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve hot.