Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A healthier, non-fried version of the Mexican favorite
- 1 -1 1⁄4 green pepper, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder (more or less, to taste)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 8 large flour tortillas
- 1 lb monterey jack cheese, granted
- 1 (16 ounce) can fat-free refried beans
- 1. Saute peppers and onion in 2 T oil until tender; set aside. Brown meat; crumble thoroughly while cooking. Mix half the chili powder with meat while cooking. (OR shred cooked chicken breast and add ½ chili powder). Stir in half the onions and peppers; set aside to cool.
- 2. Heat 1 T oil in skillet; mix in flour. Add tomatoes and remaining chili powder. Stir until thickened. Stir in remaining onions and peppers until it boils.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat tortillas lightly in skillet or microwave. One at a time, lay a tortilla flat; put some refried beans, grated cheese, and meat mixture in the center, and roll up. Arrange filled tortillas in a 9X13 inch baking dish. Pour tomato sauce over tortillas; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Make half an hour, until cheese is thoroughly melted. Let sit 10 minutes before serving.