1/2 Photos of Enchilada Casserole
MK Lady's Note:
Found this recipe in a Country Living magazine as a new bride in the early 80's. Have made it many times for my hubby plus for many potlucks and pitch-ins.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup fresh corn or 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) can mild green chilies, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 16 corn tortillas
- 1 lb monterey jack cheese or 1 lb white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (8 ounce) jar salsa
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- 1In large skillet, heat oil over high heat. Add beef, onion, pepper and garlic. Saute, stirring constantly, until meat is browned and onion is tender-about 10 minutes. Drain off fat. Stir in corn and remove mixture to large bowl.
- 2In same skillet, heat stewed tomatoes, toamatoe sauce, chilies, chili powder and cumin to boiling, stirring to break up pieces of tomato.
- 3Heat over to 400 degrees F. Spoon 1/2 cup sauce into bottom of shallow 3 quart oval baking pan or 9x13 inch baking dish. Stir 1/2 cup sauce into meat mixture. Working on waxed paper, dip a tortilla in sauce, then fill with 1/4 cup meat mixture and 2 tablespoons cheese. Roll up and place in baking pan. Repeat to make 2 layers of 8 enchiladas.
- 4Stir any remaining meat mixture into sauce. Pour over enchilada. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Spoon salsa over top. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown. Sprinkle with chopped green onion. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Enchilada Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (437 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 642.3
- Calories from Fat 331
- Total Fat 36.8 g
- Saturated Fat 17.9 g
- Cholesterol 127.7 mg
- Sodium 1179.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 9.0 g
- Protein 40.7 g