Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is like a Mexican Lasagne, Southern Style. Also good in crock pot
- 2 lbs ground round
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) bag corn chips
- 1 (15 ounce) can chili beans
- 1 (12 ounce) jar enchilada sauce
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brown meat and onion, add taco seasoning, mix well.
- Layer corn shells (Tostitos etc), meat, enchilada sauce (or salsa, taco sauce etc.), chili beans and cheeses (Layer like lasagne)
- Bake till bubbly.
Really, really good! I used a large onion, almost all (but not quite) of a 13 1/2 oz bag of Tostitos Corn Chips, crushed slightly, 1 (15 1/2 oz) can of chili beans in zesty sauce (which I did not drain), a 15 oz can of Las Palmas Enchilada sauce, in a 9- x 13-inch baking dish for 35 minutes and it was a HIT in my house! I would say a good dish for potluck, too!
Really north of the border cooking in my opinion. Making one's own enchilada sauce is easy and much better. Don't use tomato products or garlic, that is Tex-Mex. Make your own seasonings, chile powder, cumin, oregano and sometimes cilantro. All this is just as easy as the recipe here.
This is definitely a keeper! I used a bag of seasoning mix (onions, celery, bell pepper) in place of the onion, added a spoonful of minced garlic (the kind in a jar that lives in the fridge), most of a 28 oz. can of Las Palmas Enchilada sauce, and baked Tostitos Scoops that were slightly crushed.