There is nothing like the desert in the spring time. With a minimum amount of water the desert springs to life with varied and beautifully vivid colors. This salad celebrates the freshness of spring with the chili peppers that are native to this part of the country along with a lively dressing that is made with a touch of chili powder. The recipe comes from the spring 2006 Sabrosa dining guide.
- 1 (8 ounce) packagemulti-colored corkscrew macaroni
- 3 medium roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 (4 ounce) cans green chili peppers, chopped, undrained
- 2 (2 1/4 ounce) canssliced ripe black olives, drained
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green bell pepper, seeded
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red bell pepper, seeded
- 1⁄4 cup light olive oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder (New Mexico style if possible)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- fresh cilantro (to garnish)
- Cook the pasta according to package directions; drain well and rinse under cold water; allow to thoroughly drain.
- Combine the pasta, tomatoes, onion, chili peppers, olives and bell peppers in a large bowl.
- Toss to mix well.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in blender jar and blend lightly to thoroughly combine.
- Pour the dressing over the pasta mixture; tossing gently to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight to allow flavors to blend.
- Serve garnished with additional cilantro.