1/1 Photo of En Fuego Chili Verde
3 hrs 20 mins
Amber Dawn's Note:
Here is a great recipe for a chili that has no beans but a wonderful, smoky flavor. Serve with rice or warm tortillas. Add some diced avocado and sour cream for a full meal. This recipe is courtesy of Dan Blair and is the first recipe from a weekly recipe club I joined at work.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 whole white onions, chopped
- 8 -10 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon epazote (Native Mexican spice, you can substitute Marjoram)
- 4 -5 lbs pork shoulder, cut into one-inch cubes
- 8 fresh poblano chiles
- 3 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 3 jalapenos, with seeds, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 12 whole tomatillos, roasted and pureed in blender. (Canned Tomatillos or Tomatillo salsa works here too.)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1Roast poblano chilies over an open flame or a BBQ until skins turn black. Put in a plastic bag and seal to steam. After 15 minutes remove skins and seeds; chop into small pieces and set aside.
- 2Brown Pork in pan with small amount of oil. Set aside.
- 3Heat onions and garlic in a large (5 qt) Dutch oven until shiny.
- 4Add epazote and jalapenos stir until heated through.
- 5Add pork, cumin, tomatillos and two cups of chicken broth.
- 6Cook covered on low for two hours, adding broth as needed. (Don’t add too much, it will be too thin.
- 7The last 30 minutes, add poblanos.
- 8Salt and pepper to taste.
- 9The longer it cooks on low the better it is.
- 10Serve by itself with warm buttered tortillas or over rice.
- 11Great the next day.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for En Fuego Chili Verde
Serving Size: 1 (455 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 805.5
- Calories from Fat 504
- Total Fat 56.1 g
- Saturated Fat 19.2 g
- Cholesterol 214.7 mg
- Sodium 585.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 57.0 g