Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From Australia. Ostrich (which is more readily available in U.S.) can be subbed for emu. Serve with boiled new potatoes. This could be done in a crockpot, cooking on low for 6-8 hours.
- 59.16 ml butter
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 29.58 ml oil
- 1360.77 g emu, cut into cubes (rump or round)
- 44.37 ml flour
- 340.19 g can beer
- 425.24 g can beef broth
- 14.79 ml garlic, peeled and chopped
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml dried thyme
- 14.79 ml balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 bay leaf
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat butter in large frying pan. Brown onions and put them in a large casserole dish.
- Heat oil in the same pan and brown the emu . Combine with the onions in the casserole dish.
- Add flour to oil in pan where you browned the meat and mix; pour in beer and beef broth, bring to a boil and add rest of the ingredients. Pour over casserole and mix together.
- Cover tightly and cook in oven for 2 hours.