Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From Australia. Ostrich (which is more readily available in U.S.) can be subbed for emu. Serve with boiled new potatoes. This could be done in a crockpot, cooking on low for 6-8 hours.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 lbs emu, cut into cubes (rump or round)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer
- 1 (15 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 tablespoon garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat butter in large frying pan. Brown onions and put them in a large casserole dish.
- Heat oil in the same pan and brown the emu . Combine with the onions in the casserole dish.
- Add flour to oil in pan where you browned the meat and mix; pour in beer and beef broth, bring to a boil and add rest of the ingredients. Pour over casserole and mix together.
- Cover tightly and cook in oven for 2 hours.