Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
These muffins go well with soup Please note that the self raising flour in the UK doesn't have salt already in it. If yours does please adjust the salt in this recipie accordingly. Thanks to Breezytoo for pointing this out as I was not aware that salt is in US self raising flour - hope that helps:-)
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon English mustard powder
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower oil
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
- Mix the wet ingredients together in a jug.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Spoon into 12 greased muffin cups.
- Bake in moderatly hot oven 20 to 25 minutes.
These were okay, but felt they were too salty for our liking. With the self rising flour already having salt in it, I'd easily decrease the salt amount by half or more if I made them again. I didn't have English mustard powder so used plain dry mustard as my only substitute and left the sugar out completely. With no temperature indicated for baking, I chose 375* and they baked up in 20 minutes. I used paper baking cups for ease as well. Thanks for sharing.
These were very tasty. I made them to go with dinner . I used a sugar sub instead of sugar. Other than that I followed the recipe. I will be making these again. Made for Spring PAC 2009