Recipe by Debber
Make these on Easter Eve, right before bedtime for the kiddies. Preheat the oven to 300--this is VERY important! Read the corresponding Bible passage while adding the necessary ingredients.
Top Review by WI Cheesehead
I tagged these in Please Review. I had seen this B4 and I love the idea of teaching the Easter story and making cookies at the same time. The only problem I had was that I made them too small (it didn't state the size to drop and I didn't look at the serving size until the next day) and I think that made them not hollow. They were still a little sticky too. It might have been the weather too. We scraped some off to try and the 4 yo kept wanting more! This might be fun for Easter to add food coloring too (although that might kill the "purity" part of the lesson! :))
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees--you MUST do it now. Also, gather a cooking mallet, kitchen mixer, masking tape and Bible.
- Read John 19:1-3 ~ Jesus was beaten for our sins; beat the nuts with a cooking mallet; set aside.
- Read John 19:28-30 - Jesus drank something like vinegar (gall), sniff the fragrance, dip finger in and taste, too; place the vinegar in a mixing bowl.
- Read John 10:10-11 - Egg whites symbolize Jesus' holy, innocent life; add whites to the bowl with the vinegar.
- Read Luke 23:27 - the bitter tears of the women; taste a few grains, remember your own sins; add the salt to the bowl.
- Read Psalm 34:8 and John 3:16 - Sweet salvation! Taste and see; add to the bowl.
- Crank up the mixer and let it go while you read from Isaiah 1:18 and John 3:1-3; let the mixer go for about 12-15 MINUTES; this needs to be VERY stiff!
- Read Matthew 27:57-60 - Fold the nuts into the egg-sugar mixture; this symbolizes the rocks in the garden.
- Using a scoop or knife & spoon, drop by spoon into mounds (to resemble a rocky tomb); put into the oven and turn it OFF!
- Read Matthew 27:65-66 - The tomb is sealed; use two pieces of tape (5-6 inches long) to "seal" the door edges (symbolically).
- Read John 16:20 & 22 - Consider these passages, then go to bed!
- NEXT MORNING: Read Matthew 28:1-9 - Jesus is risen! Behold--the empty tomb! Unseal the oven door, take out the cookies, break or bite one in half -- it should be hollow inside---empty---just like the Tomb!
- He is risen! He is risen indeed! Hallelujah!