Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
It FINALLY got to be winter here & when I returned home I wanted soup! I DID NOT want to go back outside & thus this minestrone was born. Really yummmmm!
- 12 ounces boneless pork (I used lean shoulder)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 5 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 3 potatoes, medium, peeled & diced
- 3 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 3 zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 8 cups chicken broth
- fresh ground black pepper
- Freeze pork until firm but not frozen solid. Slice into 1/4 inch slices. Then cut these into smaller slices the width of your finger & 1/2 the length of your finger.
- Heat oil in your favorite soup cauldron & toss pork slices in to brown.
- Add onion, celery & garlic. Saute with pork until onion is translucent.
- Add basil, potato & tomatoes. Add chicken broth & simmer for 45 minutes - 1 hour.
- Add zuchini & parsley - simmer 30 minutes.
- Serve with freshly grated Romano or Parmesan cheese & hot crusty bread (let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!).