Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a delicious stir-fry recipe from the Empress of China restaurant in San Francisco.
Make and share this Empress of China Beef recipe from Food.com.
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 1.23 ml salt
- 226.79 g boneless sirloin steak, cut into shoestring strips
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 stalk celery, coarsely chopped
- 113.39 g fresh snow peas or 113.39 g frozen snow peas, each cut in half on a diagonal or 113.39 g french-style green beans
- 85.04 g can whole mushrooms, drained and thinly sliced
- 118.29 ml coarsely chopped water chestnut
- 14.79 ml cornstarch
- 7.39 ml sugar
- 73.94 ml soy sauce
- 118.29 ml water
- steamed rice
- Heat oil in large skillet; add salt, then beef.
- Cook, stirring often, over high heat to brown meat, about 5 minutes.
- Add onion, celery, snow peas, mushrooms, and water chestnuts.
- Continue cooking over high heat, stirring constantly for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Cover, lower heat and simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch, sugar, soy sauce and water in small dish; mix well.
- Add to skillet; cook stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and bubbles for 1 minute.
- Serve immediately over fluffy, steamed rice.
This was quite nice. I was a little worried the sauce was going to be too salty, but it came good in the end. Added extra greens that needed to be cooked and served on pad thai noodles since I had no rice (yeah, wtf?)