Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This recipe was given to my better half, from his Uncle Dave, over 35 years ago. It has been a huge hit with our family & guests! NOTE: with all spices it is best to use a well rounds measure Get all the toppings lined up and let your guests create their own tasty chili. Freezes well if there are any leftovers.
- 1892.72 ml water
- 907.18 g lean ground beef
- 4 medium onions, chopped fine, in a food processor
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (453.59 g) can tomato sauce
- 7.39 ml white vinegar
- 1.23 ml ground cayenne pepper
- 3 small dried chilies, whole
- 4.92 ml allspice
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 29.58 ml chili powder
- 0.5 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 5-6 bay leaves, whole
- 9.85 ml salt (not optional)
- 6.16 ml ground pepper
One way chili
- thick spaghetti noodles, cooked to package directions
Two way chili
- pasta topped with chili
Three way chili
- top with sharp cheddar cheese, finely grated
Four way chili
- top with raw onion, finely chopped
Five way chili
- top with kidney bean
- NOTES: All seasonings/ spices should be measured using rounded t/T for a full flavor. You may want to use a level measure of cayenne. It packs heat!
- DO NOT BROWN THE BEEF.
- Add 8C of water to deep stock pot.
- Using your hands, add the raw ground beef and break up the raw beef as you add it to the water.
- Add all other ingredients and bring to a boil. NOTE: remove the lid of the pot or tip it so the steam can escape.
- Simmer for several (4) hours or more to reduce the amount of the liquid. Stir often. Reduce until the chili is thick.
- When desired consistency is achieved: remove bay leaves and whole peppers.
- Served 5 ways! Add your favorite toppings as suggested above.
Really good except that it's missing the chocolate that should be in Cincinnati chili. I added 1/2 ounce of grated unsweetened chocolate. Other than that, the blend of spices is perfect. I don't have time to cook anything on the stove for 4 hours, so I reduced the water to 6 cups and cooked it in the crock pot for 8 hours on low while I slept. Worked great. I stored it in fridge during the day, skimmed the fat and reheated while the spaghetti cooked. This makes too much for me so I freeze half. It freezes very well
This is fantastic! The spice mixture is perfect without having too much heat. I made this just as written, and let everyone choose their own toppings. Most of us had it "5-way." We'll be having this again for sure. Thanx for sharing!
Wonderful chili! Did 4 way and loved it. Dh had three helpings and only a small amount left. Will have it for lunch later this week.