Recipe by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
This recipe was given to my better half, from his Uncle Dave, over 35 years ago. It has been a huge hit with our family & guests! NOTE: with all spices it is best to use a well rounds measure Get all the toppings lined up and let your guests create their own tasty chili. Freezes well if there are any leftovers.
Top Review by saintinaction
Really good except that it's missing the chocolate that should be in Cincinnati chili. I added 1/2 ounce of grated unsweetened chocolate. Other than that, the blend of spices is perfect. I don't have time to cook anything on the stove for 4 hours, so I reduced the water to 6 cups and cooked it in the crock pot for 8 hours on low while I slept. Worked great. I stored it in fridge during the day, skimmed the fat and reheated while the spaghetti cooked. This makes too much for me so I freeze half. It freezes very well
- 1892.72 ml water
- 907.18 g lean ground beef
- 4 medium onions, chopped fine, in a food processor
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (453.59 g) can tomato sauce
- 7.39 ml white vinegar
- 1.23 ml ground cayenne pepper
- 3 small dried chilies, whole
- 4.92 ml allspice
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 29.58 ml chili powder
- 0.5 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 5-6 bay leaves, whole
- 9.85 ml salt (not optional)
- 6.16 ml ground pepper
One way chili
- thick spaghetti noodles, cooked to package directions
Two way chili
- pasta topped with chili
Three way chili
- top with sharp cheddar cheese, finely grated
Four way chili
- top with raw onion, finely chopped
Five way chili
- top with kidney bean
Directions See How It's Made
- NOTES: All seasonings/ spices should be measured using rounded t/T for a full flavor. You may want to use a level measure of cayenne. It packs heat!
- DO NOT BROWN THE BEEF.
- Add 8C of water to deep stock pot.
- Using your hands, add the raw ground beef and break up the raw beef as you add it to the water.
- Add all other ingredients and bring to a boil. NOTE: remove the lid of the pot or tip it so the steam can escape.
- Simmer for several (4) hours or more to reduce the amount of the liquid. Stir often. Reduce until the chili is thick.
- When desired consistency is achieved: remove bay leaves and whole peppers.
- Served 5 ways! Add your favorite toppings as suggested above.