1/12 Photos of Empress Chicken
Empress chicken was my favorite thing to order at the local chinese restaurant. They switched over to "fast food" chinese, and this dish got lost in the translation! I found this recipe online, and it's very close to my beloved dish! Great over rice. NOTE: The amount of cornstarch has been adjusted based upon reviewers' comments.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4-1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ginger, chopped
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/4 cup dark soy sauce (tamari)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups green onions, minced (one bunch)
- 8 small hot peppers, diced (I used jalapenos)
- 1Combine first 7 ingredients in a jar and shake vigorously. Store in fridge until ready.
- 2Mix chicken with 1/4 cup dark soy sauce. Stir in egg.
- 3Add cornstarch and mix chicken until coated.
- 4Deep fry in hot oil until golden brown.
- 5Drain on paper towels.
- 6Place a small amount of oil in wok and heat to very hot.
- 7Add onions and peppers and stir fry 30 seconds.
- 8Stir in sauce mixture (shake again first).
- 9Cook until thick. If it gets too thick, add some water until desired consistency.
- 10Add chicken and cook until hot and bubbly.
- 11Serve over hot rice.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Empress Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (488 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 752.0
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 264.4 mg
- Sodium 3748.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 44.5 g
- Protein 84.3 g