Recipe by Olha
Empanaditas (“little empanadas”) are baked or fried pastries stuffed with savory or sweet filling. These little empanadas are just right for dipping into Jalapeno Cream Sauce or Almond Red Sauce. Almond Red Sauce is especially good with beef and poultry. The almonds give it body and a sophisticated, toasted flavor. Jalapeno Cream Sauce is as refreshing sauce, great for dipping appetizers.
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons raisins, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped green olives
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 1 hard-boiled egg, peeled and chopped
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 teaspoon water
- pastry dough, for 10 inch 2 crust pie
- 2 teaspoons milk
ALMOND RED SAUCE
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground red chili pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
JALAPENO CREAM SAUCE
- 1 -2 jalapeno chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 (10 ounce) container creme fraiche (below) or 1 (10 ounce) containerquick creme fraiche (below)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
QUICK CREAM FRAICHE
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR THE EMPANADITAS: Cook and stir ground beef in 10 inch skillet, breaking up into small pieces, until brown; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon fat and the beef in skillet. Stir in onion, raisins, olives, salt and pepper. Cover and cook over low heat 5 minutes. Stir in cottage cheese and hard cooked egg.
- Heat oven to 400°F Mix egg white and water until slightly foamy; reserve. Prepare pastry dough; gather into a ball. Divide into halves. Shape into 2 flatted round on lightly floured cloth covered surface. Roll 1 round of pastry into circle, about 14 inches in diameter. Cut into 11 or 12 circles, 3 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Spoon 2 teaspoons beef mixture onto center of each circle; brush edge of pastry with egg white mixture. Fold pastry circle up over filling; press edge with fork to seal. Place empanaditas on ungreased cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining round of pastry and filling. Gather any remaining pastry; shape into another round. Repeat rolling, cutting and filling.
- Beat egg yolk and milk until well blended; brush over tops of empanaditas. Bake until golden brown., 15 to 20 minutes. Serve warm. About 34 empanaditas.
- FOR THE ALMOND RED SAUCE: Place almonds in food processor work bowl fitted with steel blade or in blender container; cover and process until finely ground.
- Cook onion and garlic in oil over medium heat, stirring frequently, until onion is tender. Stir in remaining ingredients except almonds.
- Heat to boiling reduce heat. Simmer 1 minute, stirring constantly; stir in almonds. Serve hot. About 1 3/4 cups sauce.
- FOR THE JALAPENO CREAM SAUCE: Cook chiles and garlic in oil over low heat, stirring frequently, until tender, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in remaining ingredients. About 1 1/4 cups sauce.
- FOR THE QUICK CRÈME FRAICHE: Gradually stir whipping cream into sour cream. Cover and refrigerate up to 48 hours.
- SouthWest Cooking Betty Crocker’s.