Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped, 1 medium
- 2 tablespoons raisins, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons green olives, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup cream-style small curd cottage cheese
- 1 large egg, hard cooked, peeled and chopped
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 (10 inch) double crust pie crusts
- 2 teaspoons milk
- Cook and stir ground beef in 10-inch skillet, breaking up into small pieces, until brown; drain reserving 1 T of fat and the beef in the skillet.
- Stir in onion, raisins, olives,salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir in cottage cheese and hard cooked egg.
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Mix egg white and water until slightly foamy; reserve.
- Prepare pastry dough; gather into a ball.
- Divide into halves.
- Shape into 2 flattened rounds on lightly floured cloth covered surface.
- Roll 1 round of pasty into circle, about 14 inches in diameter.
- Cut into 11 or 12 circles, 3 1/2-inches in diameter.
- Spoon on 2 t of the beef mixture at the center of each circle; brush edge of pastry with egg white mixture.
- Fold pastry circle up over filling; press edge with fork to seal. place empanaditas on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Repeat with remaining pastry circles.
- Gather any remaining pastry; shape into another round.
- Repeat rolling cutting and filling.
- Beat egg yolk and milk until well blended; brush over tops of empanaditas.
- Bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve warm.