Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Delicious savory Spanish turnovers that are a cinch to make. Adapted from The Essential Mediterranean Cookbook.
- 1 1⁄4 ounces stuffed green olives, chopped
- 3 ounces ham, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 425 F and lightly grease two baking trays.
- Combine olives, ham and cheddar in a bowl. Cut about five 4-inch rounds from each pastry sheet. Spoon a tablespoon of the filling into the center of each round, fold the pastry over and crimp the edges to seal.
- Place the pastries on the trays about 2 cm apart. Brush with the egg yolk and bake in the center or top half of oven for 15 minutes, or until well browned and puffed. Swap the trays around and cook another 10 minutes, covering loosely with foil if the empanadas start to brown too much. Serve hot.
Ham and cheese goes so nice together. Then you add olives and in puff pastry! What more can you want. I served with Piri Piri Dressing and Salsa Cruda / Pico De Gallo. We enjoyed with chilled Cava in this Agua De Valencia - Knock Your Socks off Spanish Cava Punch!. Love these. I did make them small for appetizers. muchas gracias
Yummy recipe. Who doesn't like ham and cheese? I made half without the olives, so that DS would eat them. The puff pastry is very yummy. Made for ZWT5.
Absolutely fabulous...the only problem was there was not enough for everyone to go back as many times as they wanted too! *laughs* I will be making again soon!! Will not make any changes. These were a treat. Made for ZWT5