1/3 Photos of Empanadas De Pollo (Chicken Empanadas)
1 hr 30 mins
These are delicious. Not very healthy but so tasty you won't mind indulging. The filling I use for these is #378725 .
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 907.18 g fresh prepared masa harina flour (Note ( the system says flour, masa is not flour it will be wet and have the consistency of play doug)
- 236.59 ml masa harina flour (maseca brand preffered)
- 177.44 ml white flour
- 9.85 ml salt
- 946.36 ml oil (for frying)
- 1Place the chicken breasts and bouillon cube in a sauce pan. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Simmer the chicken for 45 minutes to an hour until tender enough to shred.
- 2While the chicken is cooking, heat the oil in a saute pan, add the onions. Saute for 5 minutes on medium heat or until onions are soft and translucent.
- 3Add in the tomatoes and cook until mushy about 10 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Then using a bean or potato masher mash the tomatoes until they are broken up (about 10 good mashes). Add the oregnao, salt to taste. Then turn the heat off of the tomatoes and set them aside.
- 4Pull the meat out of the sauce pan and set aside to cool.
- 5In a large bowl combine the fresh masa, corn flour and white flour. Once all is combined add ¼ cup water at a time until dough is easy to knead and slightly sticky. I usually add around ½ to 1/3 cups water.
- 6Add in the salt and knead the dough for 2 minutes to make sure the salt is incorporated.
- 7Shape the dough into egg size balls and flatten slightly into discs.
- 8Shred the chicken into thin shreds and add it to the tomato mixture. Stir and set aside.
- 9Press each disc in a tortilla press or between two sheets of plastic until it is flat and around ¼ inch thick.
- 10As you press each empanada fill with approx 1 tbsp of the chicken mixture on one side, then fold the other side over and press the edges together. Then peel away the plastic and drop the empanada in oil for frying.
- 11I serve these with salsa, chile de arbol, sour cream and shredded lettuce. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Empanadas De Pollo (Chicken Empanadas)
Serving Size: 1 (3354 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 220.1
- Calories from Fat 149
- Total Fat 16.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 6.2 mg
- Sodium 97.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 3.9 g