Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 6 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 20 ounces mixed dried fruit
- 1⁄2 lb raisins
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup pine nuts (other nuts okay)
- Mix flour, salt and sugar; add shortening and mix well.
- Add beaten egg to water and then to dry mixture.
- Dough should be soft but not sticky.
- Make small balls of dough.
- Roll out to 5 inches diameter and 1/8" thick.
- Place a heaping teaspoon of filling on half of rolled out dough turning other half of dough over and pressing edges together.
- Pinch edges between thumb and fore finger giving the dough a half-turn.
- Fry in deep fat until golden brown.
- To make fruit filling, add enough water to cover the dried fruit and raisins.
- Cook over low heat until tender.
- Add sugar, spices, and nuts.
- Mix until well blended. ( A 21 oz. can of fruit pie filling can be
- substituted for the fruit filling.)