Turnovers inspired by the Sephardic tradition-simple and delicious. Adapted from Nava Atlas' cookbook Vegetarian Celebrations.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour (read NOTE*)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup pumpkin puree, canned
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, to taste
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 dash freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/3 cup apple, peeled, seeded and grated
- 2 tablespoons dried dates (optional) or 2 tablespoons dried apricots, minced small (optional)
- egg wash
- 1* NOTE: Can substitute half the amount of unbleached white pastry flour for the whole wheat pastry flour.
- 2Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 3Lightly oil an aluminum baking sheet or line the baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 4To make the dough, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in the oil and water. With your hands, work the mixture to form a soft dough, adding more dough if necessary so that it loses its stickiness.
- 5Cover dough, set aside and let rest.
- 6Meanwhile, combine the filling ingredients and mix well.
- 7Now on a floured surface roll out the prepared dough to 1/16" thickness. Use a 3" round cookie cutter to cut out the dough. (You could also use a tortilla press to form the turnovers.)
- 8Place one heaping teaspoon of the pumpkin filling on one side of each circle, fold over, slightly dampen edges with water, and pinch edges shut. I use my dim sum maker to seal the turnovers.
- 9Arrange the turnovers singly on the prepared baking sheet, brush lightly with egg wash and bake about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- 10Cool on rack.
- 11The uncooked, filled turnovers can be frozen.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Empanadas De Calabasa Sefardicas (Sephardic Pumpkin Turnovers)
Serving Size: 1 (704 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 76.5
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 33.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 1.4 g