Recipe by Dib's
This is a traditional Mexican recipe. You can make 12 for a tapas-light snack-or 6 for a hearty meal. I could live on these!
Top Review by Terri F.
Absolutely delicious, Di! I made these a day ahead of time, and made 12 smaller ones because just the two of us using them for snacks. Refrigerated them, then cooked just 4 today (in the oven) and froze the rest for later. Even just the 4 were very filling, but I can't wait to have the rest! Thanks for a great recipe! :o)
For the dough
- 2 3⁄4-3 cups flour
- 3 -4 teaspoons lard or 3 -4 teaspoons shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup very warm water
For the filling
- 3 large tomatoes, roasted,peeled,cored and chopped
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground lean pork
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (fresh grind if you can)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 cup dark raisin
- 4 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- ------For the Dough--------.
- In a large bowl add flour and cut in the lard/shortening to small pea size.
- Dissolve the salt in the hot water and work it into the flour mixture.
- Knead several minutes until smooth.
- Divide into six OR 12 balls, place on a plate and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let rest at room temp for 30 minutes.
- -----For the filling--------.
- Place tomatoes in a food processor and puree until smooth, adding 1/3 cup water as you go along.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- When hot add the onion and cook until soft, around 4 or 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the pork and cook until done-drain.
- Add remaining ingredients, except almonds and salt, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Toast the almonds and stir into the filling, taste and add salt.
- Remove from heat and let cool a bit.
- Roll out the balls of dough and place equal amounts of filling off center on each round.
- Fold over and crimp-I like using the rope edge, fold pinch, fold pinch, etc.
- Place on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until lightly browned OR fry in hot oil until golden brown, around 3 minutes per side.