Recipe by Codebates
This recipe produces a sweet dough that contrasts perfectly with savory fillings. Empanada dough is less flaky than pie crust. it has a tender texture that soaks up the filling. This dough can be used for baked or fried empanandas.
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3⁄4 cup warm water
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift the flour into a bowl. Stir in the salt and the sugar.
- Blend the butter and shortening (or lard) into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter or with two knives, until fairly well blended.
- Whisk the egg yolks wiht 3/4 cups water. Stir in the 1/2 cup of water/egg mixture, a little at a time until the dough starts to come together smoothly. Keep kneading the dough, adding more water/egg a little bit at a time as necessary (you made need a few tablespoons extra of water), until the dough is smooth. The dough will seem a bit shaggy until it has thoroughly chilled.
- Super fast and easy.
- This dough does not need to stand.
- Makes enough dough for 10-12 large empanadas.