1/1 Photo of Empanada Dough
Stuff these with your favorite ingredients! Use only butter for this recipe. This dough should make about 10-12 empanadas depending on the size you are making them. This dough can also be made using a food processor and completely frozen butter pieces, though you will have to be careful not to overprocess the dough when mixing on the processor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl sift together flour and salt.
- 2Blend in the cold butter cubes using you fingers or a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse meal (the mixture should be pea-size).
- 3In a small bowl whisk together egg, ice water and vinegar.
- 4Add to the flour mixture, stirring with a fork just until incorporated (the mixture will look somewhat lumpy).
- 5Transfer the mixture onto a LIGHTLY floured surface.
- 6Gather the dough together with your hands and gently knead with the heel of your hand once or twice (just enough to bring the dough together, do not overwork the dough or it will be tough!).
- 7Form the dough in a semi-flat ball or rectangle.
- 8Cover the dough tightly with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour or up to 8 hours.
- 9Roll out the dough, then cut into desired size circles.
- 10Fill with favorite fillings then close the dough over the filling as you would a pierogi.
- 11Brush the ends with egg wash then seal together with a fork.
- 12Bake as desired.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Empanada Dough
Serving Size: 1 (45 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 191.1
- Calories from Fat 89
- Total Fat 9.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 43.0 mg
- Sodium 437.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 3.6 g