Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Another wonderful appetizer from Latin American Cooking - Delisious!! Almost addictive. (1 hour chill time not in cook time)
- Combine the flour with the salt, sugar and baking powder in a bowl.
- Add the butter and cut into the flour with a pastry blender or 2 knives.
- Beat the egg yolks lightly and combine with the milk.
- Stir into the flour to form a soft dough.
- Wrap in waxed paper and chill for 1 hour.
- Beat the egg whites and fold in the grated cheese and chili powder.
- Roll out the dough as thinly as possible on a floured board.
- Cut the dough into 48 circles with a glass.
- Place 1/3 tablespoon of the cheese mixture on half of the circles and cover with the remaining circles.
- Moisten the edges with a little water and press together.
- Arrange the pastries on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 375f degree oven for 15 minutes.
I can't believe I forgot to rate these little treasures. They were so good Derf, and so quick and easy to make. We ate them very quickly. I will be making these again. I made mine quite small, they were great. First time I ever tried empanada's but it won't be the last...thanks so much for sharing. :)
I enjoyed these for a late night dinner and I think they would be wonderful served with guacamole. I was only able to make 16 empanadas using a glass that had a 2 3/4 inch diameter.I used the extra egg white as a wash for the empanadas to give them some color. I also baked them about 6 minutes longer than the suggested time (maybe due to their size?) These should be rolled very thin as they taste better that way. Thanks for sharing your recipe Derf.