Recipe by gjkoptish
Fresh picked green beans (cooked to tender), or canned, this is a long time family favorite from my mother & always requested as a side-dish at family gatherings, plus! Flavorful, colorful, delicious hot, or cold, more flavorful the next day.... and easy to make. Special note: 'Snappy Tom' is somethimes hard to find, but well worth the effort.
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans green beans, drain reserving 1/4 cup broth (french cut or cut)
- 2 (5 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable cocktail (Snappy Tom brand)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly chopped
- 4 slices bacon, cut into approximately 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine green beans, reserved 1/4 cup broth, Snappy Tom in medium sauce pan, heat on low.
- In a cast iron skillet, heat olive oil to hot, but not smoking.
- Sautee bacon in hot olive oil in skillet until slightly browned, add onion and mushrooms, continue to sautee until onion is lightly browned, remove from heat.
- Drain excess bacon grease, add bacon, onions, mushrooms to green bean mixture.
- Heat to simmer (do not boil), cook for 10 minutes.