We really enjoy this, masha Allah (praise be to God). This is a traditional dish of the United Arab Emirates. It can be made with meat, fish and shrimp as well, cooking times adjusted. It says it is always served with radishes, freshly sliced onion, sliced limes and dates though I can't testify to the authenticity of that I added raisins to the dish and did not serve dates but with sliced limes and sometimes a radish salad and Kuwaiti Tomato Sauce (Dukkous Al-Tamat). I modified this off of http://www.fahad.com/Dishes which is said to be originally from The Complete United Arab Emirates Cookbook by Celia Ann Brock- Al Ansari. I really did have to figure out the original recipe on my own though as it was poorly written.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- half a bone in chicken, jointed in two (breast & wing, and thigh & leg)
- 1 tablespoon bahrat mixed spice (Baharat Aka Middle East Mixed Spices - the Real Mix, I do not suggest using allspice as a substitute as it will be rather bland)
- sea salt
- 2 1/4 cups chicken stock (I use my own homemade)
- 1 cup chopped canned tomato
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 whole dried lime (periced a few times with a skewer. Called loomi & noomi Basra, please do not omit this!)
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 2 curry leaves
- 3 tablespoons butter, devided
- 2 tablespoons dark raisins
- 3 whole cardamom pods, bruised
- 1 cup white basmati rice
- 2 small onions, sliced
- 2 paper towels, cut in 2
- 1 lime, cut (for serving)
- plain yogurt (for serving)
- 1If using the oven method heat to 350°F.
- 2Rince chicken and remove skin.
- 3Rub with sea salt and bahrat.
- 4Gently fry in 1 1/2 tbs butter until browned on both sides.
- 5Transfer to a pot, add light olive oil, stock, crushed garlic, loomi, cinnamon, cardamom, curry leaves and tomato. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 6Meanwhile fry slices of onion in remaining butter until soft and browned, remove from heat and add dark raisins to onions.
- 7Taste stock pot for salt.
- 8Rice white Basmati rice until the water runs clear.
- 9Remove chicken pieces from pot and add rice then set them on top of the rice with the onion/raisin mixture.
- 10Bring to a boil and then cover pot and reduce heat to low for 15 minutes.
- 11Once the liquid has been absorbed, arrange the 4 sheets of paper towel around the pot's rim and tightly cover. (This makes for fluffier rice). Also you may bake it in the oven until done from this point which I prefer as I find it cooks the rice more evenly in a greased pan.
- 12Remove from heat and leave to steam, unopened, for 15-20 minutes.
- 13Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Serve hot on a platter with lime wedges or halves and plain yogurt.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Emirati Chicken and Rice (Machboos or Fogga)
Serving Size: 1 (807 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 814.6
- Calories from Fat 334
- Total Fat 37.1 g
- Saturated Fat 14.2 g
- Cholesterol 53.9 mg
- Sodium 674.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 108.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 17.5 g
- Protein 16.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole cardamom pods