Recipe by Journey 88
Since becoming a vegetarian, my daughter Emily has been very careful about checking out bean dishes for meat seasonings. Since beans are an important part of her diet, she developed this recipe to also accommodate her aversion to onions. Whenever a potluck is planned, it is expected that she will bring her beans, hence the name.
Top Review by flower7
These are tasty and easy! Followed the recipe exact, using dark brown sugar and cooking the beans in the crockpot for 5 hours. Nice and thick, the way I like them :) Thanks for sharing!
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can red beans
- 1⁄3 cup catsup
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (light or dark)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain and rinse beans together in a colander and allow to drain.
- Place in a 2 Quart Baking dish that has been lightly sprayed with cooking spray. In a small bowl, mix remaining ingredients thoroughly and pour over beans. Mix gently to coat. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until bubbly and warm.
- You may also assemble as directed in a crockpot and cook on low for 4-5 hours.
- This recipe is easily doubled for potlucks or parties.