Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this recipe on allrecipes.com many years ago before I discovered Zaar. Decided to put it here for safe keeping since it's a favorite in our house. I changed just a couple of ingredients to suit the families tastes.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 large buns
- In a large frying pan over med. heat, brown the beef until done.
- Add the chopped onion/pepper and saute until just done.
- In a bowl, mix remaining ingredients together and pour over the beef/veg. mixture.
- Stir until combined.
- Cook until desired consistancy is reached.
- Aprox. 20 minutes.
- Serve on toasted buns of your choice.
The only thing I changed was to use less cumin as it's a spice we like a bit less. The seasonings are perfect. It was very easy to do. I had mine with monterey jack cheese and mustard. Thanks Lori Mama :) Made for Photo tag game
This is a really good sloppy joe recipe. I do like to add chopped mushrooms to this........I saw that in the Joy of Cooking joe recipe and always have added it ever since.
A great recipe that took no time to make but still packed a punch in flavor. Since I don't eat meat, DS was here to give it the nod that yes, this didn't need any other additions/deletions. An easy meal for work-nights and the perfect sloppyjoe recipe Lori. :-)