Recipe by HeatherFeather
Emily brought these to a Christmas cookie exchange one year and everyone loved them. I have made these many times and they are on my favorite cookie list.
- 5⁄8 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- food coloring
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream the butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add flour and mix to combine well.
- Cover and chill until firm enough to roll out.
- Roll out on a lightly floured cutting board and cut out using lightly floured cookie cutters.
- Bake at 350°F on baking sheets until pale golden in color, about 10 minutes.
- Remove to racks to cool completely.
- Mix icing together and tint as desired and chill slightly.
- When cookies are cooled, ice cookies as desired.