Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Hot pepper jelly. Not real hot, but it has a little zip. This is great spooned over cream cheese and eaten on crackers.
- Measure sugar into separate bowl and set aside.
- Seed and chop peppers.
- Place in heavy stainless saucepan.
- Add vinegar and pectin, and butter or margarine.
- Bring to a full rolling boil.
- Add sugar- bring to full boil again, and boil for 1 minute.
- Ladle into sterilized pint jars.
- Place in hot water bath for 5-10 minutes.
Just a couple of observations: First, it makes four pints, not six; secondly, I recommend you skim the foam from the top before you ladle it into jars. Maybe that goes without saying. It seems very sweet to me; maybe you can cut down on the sugar somewhat or maybe I needed to add more peppers--hard to say. The taste is fantastic, of course. I did blend it first as that seemed like a good suggestion.
We love this jelly. We eat it on quesadillas, over cream cheese with crackers, egg rolls, taquitos and so on. It's delicious! I didn't mix colors, but used red jalapeno's with red bell peppers and green with green. I also pulsed it in my blender before cooking to give it a little more body.
I made this as directed with the exception of adding a few drops of green food coloring. It is good, but a bit too sweet for my taste. Will reduce the sugar next time. I got 4 1/2 pints. Thanks goddess!