1 hr 10 mins
Recipe Reader's Note:
My mother-in-law passed this recipe to me after seeing it on ABC, and she liked it quite a bit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces turkey bacon, small dice
- 1 1/2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups carrots, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 lbs ground turkey, preferably thighs
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, crushed with your fingers, undrained (juices and all)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock or 1 1/2 cups broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1In a Dutch oven or large, heavy saucepan, add the olive oil and bacon and cook until bacon is crisp and lightly caramelized, about 8 minutes.
- 2Add the onion, carrots, celery, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring, until vegetables are soft and lightly browned around the edges, about 6 minutes.
- 3Add the ground turkey and cook, stirring to break up any clumps, until meat is cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes.
- 4Add the white wine and garlic and cook until wine is nearly evaporated.
- 5Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, 5 minutes.
- 6Add the canned tomatoes, bay leaves, thyme, rosemary, salt, and crushed red pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a steady simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- 7Add the chicken stock and cook, stirring occasionally, until flavors have come together and the sauce has reduced to a nice consistency, about 20 minutes.
- 8Add the evaporated milk and continue cooking, partially covered, for 15 minutes longer.
- 9Add the basil, stir to combine and let sit for 5 minutes before using as a sauce for cooked pasta or lasagna.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Emeril's Turkey Bolognese Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (400 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 373.9
- Calories from Fat 179
- Total Fat 19.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 109.7 mg
- Sodium 1228.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 31.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: