Emeril Lagasse, 2003
Make and share this Emeril's Sweet Potato Bacon Biscuits recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup mashed cooked sweet potato, cooled
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 5 slices cooked bacon, drained and crumbled
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk (or up to 1 cup if needed)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a large baking sheet and set aside.
- In a bowl; stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the butter and work in with a pastry blender or your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a bowl; whip the sweet potatoes with the brown sugar until very smooth. Add to the flour mixture and mix in lightly but thorougly with your fingers.
- Add 3/4 cup of the buttermilk and the bacon and gently work to make a smooth dough, slightly sticky, being careful not to overwork and adding more buttermilk as needed, 1 tsp at a time.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and pat out into a large rectangle about 1/2-inch thick. Cut into 10 large biscuits and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown and risen, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot with butter.
These biscuits are awesome! I have made them several times for special occasions. I serve them with maple butter, and one could practically make a meal of biscuits alone!