Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I saw Emeril make this on TV and it looked yummy....of course, it was but almost anything he makes looks yummy...I'm posting it so that I don't lose the recipe....You could use just about any toppings that you want!!
- 1⁄2 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced jalapenos
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Italian spices
- 1⁄2 lb sliced ham
- 1⁄4 lb thinly sliced pepperoni
- 1⁄2 cup sliced black olives
- 2 cups grated provolone cheese
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375. Grease a large baking sheet and set aside.
- Emeril used his own pizza dough, but I just bought one at the store.
- Removed sausage from casing and crumble in a large skillet. Cook sausage over med-high until browned.
- Remove with slotted spoon and drain well on paper towels.
- Discard all but 1 tbsp of fat from the pan. Add onions, bell peppers and jalapenos. Cook until very soft. Add garlic and Italian seasonings and cook for about another minute. Remove from heat and cool.
- Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll out half of the dough to a large rectangle. Spread half of the cooled sausage mix across the dough leaving an inch border. Layer with half ham, pepperoni, olives, provolone and mozzarella.
- Beat egg with 1 tbps of water to make an egg wash. Using a pastry brush, paint the border of 1 long edge with egg wash. Starting at the opposite long end without egg wash, roll up into a cylinder, pinching the edges to seal.
- Place on the prepared baking sheet and repeat with the other dough. Let dough rise for about 20 minutes.
- Brush top of stromboli with egg wash Bake until nearly completely golden brown and starting to crisp, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle each stromboli with Parmesean cheese and return to the oven until the cheese is melted and the dough is golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes. Slice thickly and serve.
- Like I said before, you could probably use different toppings like mushrooms, salami or omit some. Just add what you like!
Great flavor. I think I may use this recipe also for pizza.
We had it for the first time at our mother-in-law's 80th birthday, it stopped the show. We had 25 people and it was absolutely awesome. We had crab legs, filet mignon, and other wonderful things bu the show stopper was the Stromboli. Awesome