1/1 Photo of Emeril's Stewed Black-Eyed Peas
1 hr 10 mins
This recipe is posted by request. The original recipe belongs to Emeril Lagasse.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces ham hocks (two or one large one)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 lb tasso or 1/4 lb other ham or 1/4 lb sausage (**If there is no Tasso Recipe here on Recipezaar I will post one-it's worth making)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb black-eyed peas, rinsed and picked over
- 2 quarts chicken stock or 2 quarts low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1With a sharp knife score the fat on the ham hocks 1/4-inch deep.
- 2Heat the vegetable oil in a large heavy stockpot over medium high heat.
- 3Add the tasso and cook, stirring often, until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- 4Add the onions and bell peppers and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes.
- 5Add the ham hocks, garlic, salt, pepper, cayenne, and bay leaves.
- 6Cook, stirring often for 2 minutes.
- 7Add the black-eyed peas and chicken stock.
- 8Bring to a boil over high heat.
- 9Reduce heat to medium low.
- 10Simmer uncovered until the peas are tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring often and skimming off any foam that forms.
- 11Remove the bay leaves and discard.
- 12Cut the meat from the hock, discarding the skin and bones.
- 13Return meat to the pot.
- 14Stir in the parsley.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Emeril's Stewed Black-Eyed Peas
Serving Size: 1 (333 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 232.0
- Calories from Fat 79
- Total Fat 8.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 9.6 mg
- Sodium 1073.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 12.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: