Recipe by Trinkets
Finally found my favorite, most ultimate comfort food! This is published in Emeril's Everyday's A Party Cookbook. It's my favorite of all his books because my old house is in it. Our old house, which was under 8' of water for 3 weeks after Katrina, was such a great place to entertain...ahhh, the memories. Anyway, Emeril calls for 1/4 lb of grated smoked gouda but we liked half cheddar, half gouda so it isn't too smoky. Serve with some fried catfish fresh from the pond and a tall iced tea with mint.
Top Review by Amariyah B.
I really enjoyed the texture of this macaroni and cheese. While cooking I was a little concerned that a previous review considered it a little bland so I added a quarter of a tablespoon of garlic powder, a quarter of a tablespoon of onion powder and a quarter of a teaspoon of cayenne pepper. I served this for an event and everyone really enjoyed it.
- 6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb small elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄4 lb smoked gouda cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Put the water, 1/2 tsp salt, and the oil in a large heavy saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Add the macaroni and cook, stirring occsionally, until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Drain and rinse under cool water.
- Set aside.
- In a small, heavy saucepan, melt 2 tbs of the butter over medium heat.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the milk, whisking constantly.
- Add the remaining 1/2 tsp salt and the pepper and continue whisking until the sauce is smooth and thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, about 8 minutes.
- Remove the white sauce from the heat and stir in the cheese.
- Continue stirring until the cheese melts.
- Lightly grease a 6.5x10" casserole dish with the remeining 1/2 tsp butter.
- Combine the cheese sauce and macaroni in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Pour into the prepared casserole and bake until lightly golden on top, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot.