1 hr 30 mins
Redneck Epicurean's Note:
Every once in a great while, Emeril impresses me with a dish. This was one of them. This one looked SO incredibly good and rich. The cheese sauce I think was what got to me. I just can't get enough of a good cheese sauce. There are a ton of ingredients, but don't let that keep you from fixing these up. It does make quite a bit, but they'll probably go fast. Be sure to set around some salsa or pico, sour cream, jalapeños, and watch 'em disappear! NOTE: I condensed the directions down and left out the Pico recipe included. I can't eat pico, but feel free to use your favorite recipe or your favorite salsa.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (diced into 3-inch strips)
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 4 teaspoons fresh squeezed lime juice
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies, drained
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1In a 3-quart saucepan with lid heat the oil to the pan to medium-high.
- 2Season the chicken pieces with the chili powder and salt and toss the evenly coat.
- 3Add the chicken to the pan and sear for 3 minutes per side.
- 4Add the onions to the pan and sauté for another 3 minutes.
- 5Add the garlic to the pan and sauté for 1 minute.
- 6Pour the chicken stock over the chicken and bring to a boil.
- 7Reduce to a low heat and cover; continue to cook the chicken until very tender, about 1 hour.
- 8Stir the chicken to shred it and continue to cook, covered, for another 30 minutes.
- 9Once the chicken is cooked, stir and mash to shred the chicken meat and add the lime juice to the chicken.
- 10Set aside as you prepare the nachos.
- 11In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat and whisk in the flour.
- 12Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes, but do not allow the flour to color.
- 13While whisking constantly, add the milk in a steady stream.
- 14Add the green chilies and bring the sauce to a boil.
- 15Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes, or until the sauce is thickened and bubbly.
- 16Add the Cheddar, salt, and cayenne pepper and stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth.
- 17Cover and remove from the heat.
- 18Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- 19In a large, ovenproof shallow casserole, spread half of the tortilla chips in an even layer.
- 20Top with half of the chicken, and half of the Monterey Jack cheese.
- 21Top with the remaining tortilla chips and chicken.
- 22Pour the hot cheese sauce over the chicken, then evenly spread the remaining grated Monterey Jack over the top.
- 23Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the nachos are heated through, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 24Garnish with the sliced green onions, sour cream, pickled jalapeños and cilantro.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Emeril's Shredded Chicken Nachos
Serving Size: 1 (573 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 789.7
- Calories from Fat 471
- Total Fat 52.4 g
- Saturated Fat 27.2 g
- Cholesterol 219.0 mg
- Sodium 1597.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 58.2 g