1/2 Photos of Emeril's Sausage Macaroni and Cheese
I adopted this recipe. It is very rich and creamy with the signature spicy kick of Emeril Lagasse. He is the King of Bam and Pork Fat. This mac and cheese has it all.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 lb elbow macaroni
- 1 lb homemade-style spicy pork sausage, removed from casings and crumbled
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Emeril's Original Essence (see Emeril's Essence Creole Seasoning)
- 4 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon anise seed
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated (8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Butter a large casserole dish with 1 tablespoon of the butter and set aside.
- 3Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- 4Add the macaroni and cook until al dente, about 10 minutes.
- 5Drain in a colander and rinse under cold running water.
- 6Drain well.
- 7In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the sausage, stirring, until browned and the fat is rendered.
- 8Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- 9Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the pan.
- 10Add the onions, bell peppers, and 1 teaspoon of the Essence, and cook, stirring, over medium-high heat until soft, about 3 minutes.
- 11Add the garlic and anise seeds, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- 12Remove from the heat.
- 13Melt the butter in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- 14Add the flour, and stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, cook over medium heat until thick, 3 to 4 minutes, being careful not to let the flour brown.
- 15Using a whisk, add the milk in a steady stream and cook, whisking constantly, until thick and smooth, 4 to 5 minutes.
- 16Remove from the heat.
- 17Add the salt, pepper, cayenne, and 2 cups of the cheese, and stir well.
- 18Add the noodles, cooked sausage and vegetables, and stir well to combine.
- 19Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- 20In a mixing bowl, combine the remaining 1 cup of cheese with the breadcrumbs and remaining 2 teaspoons of Essence.
- 21Sprinkle over the macaroni and bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 25 minutes.
- 22Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Emeril's Sausage Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (384 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1522.9
- Calories from Fat 979
- Total Fat 108.8 g
- Saturated Fat 58.1 g
- Cholesterol 292.7 mg
- Sodium 2200.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 14.1 g
- Protein 55.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Emeril's Original Essence