Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
From the Food Network. Plan ahead - the garlic must be roasted ahead of time.
Make and share this Emeril's Roasted Garlic Pasta Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cushed red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 (28 ounce) canswhole italian plum tomatoes with liquid
- 3 whole roasted garlic heads, cloves removed from peels
- In a large saucepan, saute the onions in the olive oil over medium-high heat until soft and golden - about 6 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and cook stirring for 1 minute. Add the tomato paste, salt balsamic vinegar, hot sauce, crushed red pepper, Italian seasonong, and basil and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, crushing with your hands as you place them in the pan with their juices. Stir to combine well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a slow simmer and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the roasted garlic cloves and stir to combine.
- Continue to simmer for 30-45 mnutes longer until the flavors have come together.
- Serve over your choice of pasta.
This was a too thick, so I ended up adding quite a bit of chicken stock. Nice basic pasta sauce.
The pasta sauce is a little tricky, but came out great! I used a regular pan (not nonstick), and I think that was one of my problems. The sauce doesn't have enough liquid so the 1st set of ingredients looked like they were burning. Once the tomatoes with juice were added, that helped a lot - but I ended up having to add some chicken stock to thin the sauce a bit. I also added some dried parsley and ground black pepper. I put it on pasta and served it with Turkey Meatballs. Delicious!