Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is from Emeril Lagasse. I've been meaning o try it but haven't gotten around to it yet. When I do I will post an update........it sounds delicious!
- 453.59 g penne pasta
- 453.59 g sweet Italian sausage
- 473.18 ml thinly sliced yellow onions
- 14.79 ml minced garlic
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 59.14 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh basil
- parmesan cheese
- Cook penne pasta according to package directions.
- While waiting for pasta to cook, cook crumbled Italian sausage in large skillet, about 7 to 8 minutes. (If sausage is in casings, remove and cook.) After sausage is browned add onions and saute, about 8 to 10 minutes, until golden. Add garlic, salt and pepper and saute for 30 seconds.
- Drain the cooked pasta and combine with sausage mixture. Add extra-virgin olive oil and fresh basil and toss gently to combine.
- Serve garnished with Parmesan cheese.
This is a good, basic recipe, valuable in part because it is so quick to make. There is no sauce, really, with this pasta, which Mr Grumpy objected to. I cooked half the sausage as instructed, and the other half was sliced, as he likes to see chunks of meat, and I think that worked well. I ended up adding some additional herbs and a bit of red pepper. If your family prefers sauced pastas, this probably won't work. I liked it quite well, but will probably have to make it again when it's only me for dinner. I think adding some sliced spinach to this would work very well.