Recipe by Mysterygirl
I ordered oysters over the internet last year and made this recipe for our Christmas dinner. It was so good, I threw out the other Oysters Bienville recipes that I had. Well worth the effort.
- 1⁄2 lb sliced bacon, chopped
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 lb white button mushrooms, wiped clean, stems trimmed, and sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled, deveined, and chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onions (, green part only) or 1⁄2 cup chopped scallion (, green part only)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 4 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 36 medium oysters, shucked and drained, reserve the deeper bottom shells
- rock salt (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, fry the bacon until crisp, about 8 minutes.
- Add the onions, salt, and cayenne and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and butter, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes until the butter melts.
- Add the flour and, stirring slowly and constantly, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the milk and wine and stir to blend.
- Reduce the heat to medium, then add the mushrooms and shrimp.
- Stir and fold to mix and cook until the mixture is very thick, about 12 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice, green onions, and parsley and stir to mix well.
- Remove from the heat, add the beaten egg yolks, and blend well.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Arrange the reserved oyster shells on a bed of rock salt in 4 pie pans or on a large baking sheet.
- Put an oyster in each shell and top it with about 2 heaping tablespoons of the sauce.
- Or, the oysters can be put in a shallow pan (without the shells and rock salt) and topped with the sauce to bake.
- Bake until the sauce is delicately browned and the oysters begin to curl at the edges, about 20 minutes.
- Serve hot.