Recipe by Cristina Barry
If you don't have Roma tomatoes handy, you can substitute with a small can of whole tomatoes or 2 tbsp tomato paste.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 (8 ounce) veal shanks, pieces
- creole seasoning
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 small carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1⁄2 onion, large dice
- salt and pepper
- 3 roma tomatoes, peeled, chopped
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium sauce pot, add the olive oil. Season both sides of the veal shanks with Creole seasoning.
- Add the seasoned veal shanks to the oil.
- Brown the shanks on both sides, about 5 minutes per side.
- Add the celery, carrots and onions.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato, rosemary and thyme.
- Add the red wine.
- Add 2 1/2 cups of stock to cover the veal.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cover.
- Simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until the meat is very tender.
- Season to taste.
- Serve with rice.
- Garnish with parsley and Creole seasoning.