My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2/3 cup dark beer, such as Abita Turbodog
- 4 ounces english sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 ounces caerphilly cheese or 4 ounces sharp english cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons essence seasoning (use Emeril Lagasse's Essence or Creole Essence / Bayou Blast)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dry English-style mustard
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 pint raw oyster
- 12 slices French bread, toasted (12 slices - 1/2-inch thick)
- 6 slices crispy-cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1In a medium saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat.
- 2Add the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- 3Slowly whisk in the beer.
- 4When the bubbles have begun to subside, add the cheeses, 1 handful at a time, stirring constantly and in 1 direction only, until smooth and creamy.
- 5Add 1 teaspoon of the Essence, the Worcestershire sauce,the dry mustard & crushed red pepper flakes: stir to combine.
- 6Keep warm while you prepare the oysters.
- 7In a small skillet or saucepan, melt the remaining tablespoon of butter over medium-low heat and add the oysters.
- 8Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, or until the oysters are just cooked and have begun to curl around the edges, stirring occasionally.
- 9Season with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of Essence.
- 10To serve, divide the French bread toast between 6 plates, and divide the cooked oysters among the toasts.
- 11Top with the cheese mixture, and garnish with the crispy bacon.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Emeril's New Orleans-Style Welsh Rabbit
Serving Size: 1 (269 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1005.8
- Calories from Fat 377
- Total Fat 41.8 g
- Saturated Fat 18.3 g
- Cholesterol 132.4 mg
- Sodium 1832.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 112.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 39.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: