1 hr 10 mins
In response to a request for cast-iron recipes. This recipe is the whole reason I bought my first cast-iron skillet. Now I am just waiting for the skillet to be seasoned well enough to make this! Cook time includes saute time for the corn.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb bacon, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 3/4 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Place 10 inch cast-iron skillet in the oven to get hot.
- 3In a large skillet, fry bacon over medium/high heat until browned.
- 4Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and drain off all but 2 teaspoons of the fat.
- 5Add corn and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- 6Add cream, butter, 1/4 teaspoon salt and water.
- 7Cook until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- 8Remove from the heat and mash with a potato masher to crush some of the corn; allow to cool.
- 9In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, remaining salt and cayenne pepper.
- 10In a different bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, and 2 tablespoons of the melted butter.
- 11Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- 12In another bowl, combine corn mixture, bacon, jalapenos and 1 1/2 cups cheese;mix well.
- 13Remove the skillet from the oven and add the remaining tablespoon melted butter, tilting the skillet to coat the bottom and sides.
- 14Pour half of the batter into the skillet;top with the corn mixture.
- 15Pour remaining half of the batter over corn and bake until golden brown and set, about 30 minutes.
- 16Remove from oven, top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese and serve hot.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Emeril's Manly Man Stuffed Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (217 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 735.6
- Calories from Fat 481
- Total Fat 53.5 g
- Saturated Fat 27.3 g
- Cholesterol 197.7 mg
- Sodium 1217.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 22.3 g