Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Taken from Emeril's.com; posted for ZWT 5.
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- salt and white pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400º F.
- Place the potatoes in a pot of salted water and bring to a boil. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and drain.
- Heat the olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring, until the onions are caramelized, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer the onions to a bowl.
- Place the pan back on the stove and melt the stick of butter.
- When the butter has melted, cover the bottom of the pan with 1/3 of the potatoes.
- Cover the first layer of potatoes with 1/2 of the onions.
- Cover the onions with 1/3 of the potatoes.
- Repeat the layering until all of the potatoes and onions are used.
- Place the pan in the oven and cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until the potatoes are golden brown.
- Remove the pan from the oven.
- Using a spatula, gently lift the potatoes out of the pan.
- Slice the lyonnaise into 12 slices. Garnish with parsley.
I really enjoyed these potatoes. I just used ordinary russet potatoes and used a box grater to slice the potatoes thin. I also used red onion for color. I did need to salt the potatoes after they were cooked. I will certainly make these again.
Mine didnt look as pretty as the picture but it tasted very nice. I used only 2 potatoes and 1 onion as we are just 2. Thanks for posting and I will make this again. Kinda like scalloped potatoes with no sauce.
Made for World Tour 8
These had a nice flavor. I thought these might crisp up nicely but they didn't. The peel was left on, potatoes well scrubbed and sliced. The potatoes required more time than indicated in the recipe. They were basted several times with the butter. I was a little disappointed in how they browned. The tops were sprinkled about midway through cooking with a touch of sweet paprika. Made for Vivacious Violets and ZWT7.