1/1 Photo of Emeril's Lentil Stew
This is my absolute FAVORITE lentil soup/stew. It is very thick, you may want to have extra chicken broth on hand to add to suit the soup to your liking. This stew has alot of flavor depth. It's not your average lentil soup (bland). The feta cheese and lemon zest take lentil stew to a whole other level. You'll love this stew!!! (Even people who don't LOVE lentils enjoy this stew!) Note: This recipe includes fresh mint, but I have never added it. Someday I may give it a try, but mint is expensive, and I think this recipe is perfect without it. Another tip: This recipe calls for spinach, which I have used and is very delicious....but, I find that using kale instead of spinach, makes the stew even heartier; and kale holds up better if you plan on freezing or eating the stew as a leftover. Can also be made with arugula. This recipe is very forgiving with substitutions. But, don't omit the lemon zest and feta cheese!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 quarts chicken stock
- 2 cups brown lentils
- 1/4 cup chopped tomato
- 1 lb red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped lemon zest
- 12 ounces spinach leaves, picked and cleaned
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1In a large pot heat oil over medium heat.
- 2Add the garlic, cook, stirring for 30 seconds.
- 3Add the chicken stock, lentils, and tomatoes, and then bring to a boil.
- 4Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 5Add the potatoes, cook uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 6Add the lemon juice, zest, and spinach.
- 7Simmer for 2 minutes or until the spinach wilts.
- 8Fold in the mint and parsley.
- 9Adjust the seasonings.
- 10Serve with crumbled feta.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Emeril's Lentil Stew
Serving Size: 1 (481 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 698.3
- Calories from Fat 163
- Total Fat 18.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 19.1 mg
- Sodium 721.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 95.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 34.4 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 40.6 g