Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is my absolute FAVORITE lentil soup/stew. It is very thick, you may want to have extra chicken broth on hand to add to suit the soup to your liking. This stew has alot of flavor depth. It's not your average lentil soup (bland). The feta cheese and lemon zest take lentil stew to a whole other level. You'll love this stew!!! (Even people who don't LOVE lentils enjoy this stew!) Note: This recipe includes fresh mint, but I have never added it. Someday I may give it a try, but mint is expensive, and I think this recipe is perfect without it. Another tip: This recipe calls for spinach, which I have used and is very delicious....but, I find that using kale instead of spinach, makes the stew even heartier; and kale holds up better if you plan on freezing or eating the stew as a leftover. Can also be made with arugula. This recipe is very forgiving with substitutions. But, don't omit the lemon zest and feta cheese!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 1⁄2 quarts chicken stock
- 2 cups brown lentils
- 1⁄4 cup chopped tomato
- 1 lb red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped lemon zest
- 12 ounces spinach leaves, picked and cleaned
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped of fresh mint
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a large pot heat oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, cook, stirring for 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken stock, lentils, and tomatoes, and then bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, cook uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the lemon juice, zest, and spinach.
- Simmer for 2 minutes or until the spinach wilts.
- Fold in the mint and parsley.
- Adjust the seasonings.
- Serve with crumbled feta.
This is really good!!! I love all the green in it!! It has lots of texture and great flavor!! The lemon and the mint are subtle and they really accent the stew so well!! I loved the tang of the feta with this stew!! Emeril really is a master and this is another one of his great recipes!!!!
This dish is probably the most delicious I've ever made with red lentils. The lemon in it makes it so flavorful. The greens add to it to make it so healthy and enjoyable. And when you set up your presentation with it; it's picture perfect!
Very tasty and forgiving. I didn't have the full amount of spinach and it was still fine, but more would have been great. I added about a cup of chopped onion and that was tasty. I also didn't have the entire amount of mint or parsley, but put in what I had...Still very good and definitely a keeper!