Recipe by Your Sangoma
This recipe from Emeril looks good.
Top Review by Cook In Southwest
I made this last night, and have to say this was really good! I didn't follow the procedure exactly, and made one ingredient modification (used half the sausage, because that's all I had) but the results were great. I didn't pre-cook the shrimp, but instead put all the seasoning on the chicken. I also did not use whole chicken, but boneless breasts and thighs. When sauteing the chicken, I picked out the breast pieces before browning (didn't want to overcook them.) It did take quite a while to cook, so I wouldn't do this if in a hurry. I can't say if it is authentic, but it is very very tasty!
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- emerils creole seasoning
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 1⁄2 lbs andouille sausages, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped thyme leaves
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups rice
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium high heat. Season shrimp with Creole seasoning and saute until almost cooked through, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove shrimp and set aside until later.
- Season chicken pieces with Creole seasoning. Add remaining olive oil to Dutch oven and when hot, add chicken pieces and saute until browned on both sides, about 8 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Add sausage and cook until browned.
- Add onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic, bay leaves, cayenne and thyme and cook until vegetables are wilted, about 6 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and water and return chicken pieces to pot. Season with salt and pepper and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Add rice to pot, stir well and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add shrimp, green onions and parsley to Dutch oven, mixing carefully, and continue to cook, covered, for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit 10 minutes before serving.