Recipe by Shannon Cooks
There is nothing better than green tea ice cream. I eliminate a lot of the carbs by substituting Splenda in place of the sugar.
- 8 large egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup loose green tea leaves
- 2 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl beat the egg yolks with the sugar and salt. Set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, scald the milk. Remove from the heat. Add the tea, cover and steep for 4 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a clean pot, pressing with a rubber spatula to extract as much liquid as possible. Add heavy cream and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Ladle 1/3 of the cream mixture into the eggs and whisk well to combine. Add all the egg mixture to the pot and cook over low heat, stirring, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes.
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a clean container and cool in the refrigerator, about 2 hours.
- Pour into an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to a plastic container and keep in the freezer until ready to serve.