Timothy J Higgins Eva's Note:
The secret behind this delicious Emeril Lagasse fried chicken recipe is the homemade "essence" which is what Emeril calls his unique Creole seasoning mix. This Creole flavoring gives the chicken an amazing flavor and you can use this herb and spice mixture in other recipes. The chicken is coated in flour and egg and seasoned with the Creole mixture. It is then pan fried to perfection.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2 lbs fryer chickens
- 2 beaten eggs
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 -4 cups oil, for frying
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 6 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 4 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
For the Creole Seasoning
- 1First make the Creole seasoning.
- 2Mix all the Creole seasoning ingredients together and store the mixture in an airtight container.
- 3You will get about â…” cup and you won't need it all for this fried chicken recipe.
- 4Cut the chicken into 8 pieces. Use the salt and cayenne pepper to season the chicken pieces.
- 5Whisk 2 tablespoons of the milk with the eggs and add a pinch of Creole seasoning. Add another pinch of the seasoning to 3 cups of the flour.
- 6Dredge the chicken in the flour, then in the egg, ensuring the chicken pieces are completely covered. Let any excess drip off. Dip the chicken pieces again in the flour.
- 7Boil the potatoes in salted water until they are tender, then mash in the butter and some cream or milk too if you prefer a creamier texture. Keep the mashed potatoes warm.
- 8Heat the oil in a skillet. Place half the chicken pieces skin side down in the hot oil and fry for 6 minutes.
- 9Flip the chicken pieces over and cook for 6 more minutes or until the chicken is cooked right through and golden brown.
- 10Drain the chicken on a paper lined plate and sprinkle more Creole seasoning over it.
- 11Fry the other half of the chicken pieces. Pour all the oil except ½ cup out of the skillet.
- 12Whisk in the rest of the flour and let the mixture cook for a few minutes, scraping the stuck-on bits of chicken off the skillet.
- 13Whisk in the rest of the milk and bring the liquid to a boil.
- 14Turn it down to a simmer and season with salt and black pepper.
- 15Cook this gravy for 6 minutes.
- 16You can add some water if it goes too thick.
- 17Serve the mashed potatoes and fried chicken with the gravy over the top.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Emeril's Fried Chicken Creole Style With Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (1133 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2830.9
- Calories from Fat 1658
- Total Fat 184.2 g
- Saturated Fat 40.6 g
- Cholesterol 504.0 mg
- Sodium 4748.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 156.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.2 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 136.0 g