Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs 10 mins
From Emeril's Football Party show. Can be doubled and frozen!
Make and share this Emeril's Chili recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 lbs stew meat, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 3 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 8 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons masa corn flour
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 cup canned dark red kidney beans
- 1 (8 ounce) bag tortilla chips
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated monterey jack cheese
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 (4 ounce) jar jalapenos
- In a large saucepan, heat the vegetable oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions and saute for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the vegetables start to wilt. Season with salt and cayenne. Stir in the stew meat, chili powder, cumin, crushed red pepper, and oregano. Brown the meat for 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, and beef stock. Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer the liquid, partially covered for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally, or until the beef is tender. Skim off the fat occasionally.
- Mix the masa and water together. Slowly stir in the masa slurry, add the beans, and continue to cook for 30 minutes. Reseason with salt and cayenne. Place a handful of the chips in each shallow bowl. Spoon the chili over the chips. Garnish with the grated cheese, sour cream and jalapenos.